August 16, 2011

The Quilting Bug

I've been stung by the quilting bug lately.  I've churned out 2 (almost 3 quilts) this past month.  It could be due to the cooler weather.  Who knows?  My goal is to have a lap quilt for everyone in the family by the time winter sets in.  Lucy's is finished.  Hattie's will be an I-Spy quilt with lots of little pictures and colors.  Mine will have some Flea Market Fancy fabrics that I've been collecting.  I'm not so sure about the Hubby's quilt yet - he's not too picky.

I thought I'd give you my whole quilt history - just for fun.

Lucy's Zig Zag Quilt, 2011

It all started with a move to the "big girl" bed.  So I used some precious Sherbert Pips fabric and a modern zig zag/chevron pattern.  I hand-quilted it using perle cotton because I liked the large, chunky stitches. I'm fairly pleased with the outcome.  The back is voile from Anna Maria Horner and it's very soft and cuddly.  It was my first time applying binding with my sewing machine and it turned out well enough to evade the seam ripper.

My first quilt -made for Charlie, 2003
 Not bad for my first quilt.  It's twin sized and get this -completely hand pieced AND hand quilted.  I started making it for him as our 1 year anniversary (of dating) gift and didn't have access to a sewing machine.  I was working at Bible Camp and picked out all the fabrics at our local WalMart.  The design and colors are not especially beautiful, but the sentiment is nothing short of amazing.
This is a close up of the border.  I wrote his name in cursive and then quilted it.  My favorite detail yet.

Vintage Quilt Blocks, 2006
This is my favorite quilt to cuddle with.  The vintage quilt blocks were given to me by a friend who thought I might enjoy them.  They are super soft and each one has a bit of character.  Again, this was made with fabrics from WalMart (I didn't know there existed stores for just fabric!) and a piece as you go effort.  I obviously didn't know to buy enough fabric for the entire quilt because I ran out and had to use a different fabric for the border and backing. 

Baby Quilt, 2011

This is the quilt I am most pleased with so far.  It has wonky stars in Katie Jump Rope fabric from Denyse Schmidt and one vintage turquoise flower fabric.  The rest is an ivory polka dot fabric.  I love the sawtooth border and the placement of the stars.  I also made scrappy binding and for the first time did machine quilting.  It went MUCH faster than quilting by hand! 


I'm guessing there will be many more quilts to come.  There have been a few other quilts I've made for friends and family that aren't shown here but I've tried to stay away from quilting as long as possible.  I hear it's addictive.

After this is posted I'm going to begin quilting the NEXT quilt.  Yikes.  It IS super addictive.

2 comments:

  1. you are ridiculously talented...those quilts are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! LOVE the one you made for Charlie!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...